Monday, August 25, 2008

My name

Since I am a Korean I have two names. First one is Hye Won Hong which my family and Koreans use, and another one is Grace Hong for a school life. Hye Won means “a graceful and pretty girl”, and my grandfather made it for me. In fact, my English name, Grace comes from the meaning of my Korean name. My parents made it for convenience because Hye Won is very difficult to pronounce for foreigners.
When I was young, I got a nickname from my Korean name. In Korean, a carrot is called “Hong Dang Mu” and my last name is Hong accidentally, so my Korean friends usually called me “a carrot.” I did not like it whenever I was called “a carrot” but my friends always say that it really is a cute nickname.
Anyway, I like both of Korean and English names, because my grandfather and parents made it after serious considerations. Moreover, I think they have good meanings
.

No comments: